We are big fan of Python as it is extensively been used on most of our development tasks. One of our colleagues mentioned to create a third board using circuit tree having micro-python running on it. That sounded like a cool idea.
We wanted to build the board having feature set similar to the micro python 1.1 board. The additional constraint was to even have the interfaces and the dimensions the same.
Using Circuit Tree the design was loaded using command line entry through schematic. The Circuit Tree application autonomously completed these different activities:
- Interconnected the components specified in the requirement.
- Selected power, clock, reset components
- Selected discrete values needed by different components as per the electrical requirement.
- Generated the clean and error free schematic
- Accepted the board boundary which was the micro python form factor.
- Completed board placement. This placement had to be modified as some some components were placed far off. So human intervention was done here.
- Generated a two layer PCB design on it own. All the pcb routing, plane creation, Thick traces routing , length matching was autonomously. Here Human intervention was introduced to redo some traces. Human intervention was introduced to ensure that the design was correct.
- Gerber files were generated by the app after the silk screen was updated by engineer working on the program.
Using BOM component links the components were ordered. So yes it was minimal human intervention and feels good looking at the task circuit tree application is now able to undertake.
It is a two layer design with pictures below displaying svg of all layers, bottom and top layers.
And here is the PCB Fabricated using circuit tree application design:
The board is now under pcb assembly. Waiting patiently to get the boards so that we can load the micro python the board.
The PCB has been in India and this is the third board from us. Lots of learnings along the way.
We dream for the day when we are able to design complex boards (6+ layers, 400+ components including BGA components) using Circuit Tree application under 3 hours of effort.
If board design is a pain point for you write back to us what you would like us to solve.